Friday, December 23, 2011

Moxie

At the age of fifteen, I stood facing the high echelons of the ministry of education, responsible for the management of my team, about to represent Malaysia for an international competition, about to fly to Europe in the name of that competition. 

At the age of seventeen, I polished my poise, my courtesy, my politeness and respect to attend to the humdrums of the bookstore that I worked for. Part and parcel of a business mechanism, company image, answering to customers, the managers, the co-workers.  
.
At the age of nineteen, I sat in front of my boss, chief editor of a slew of corporate and social elite magazines, responsible for the grammar in my articles, responsible for the aesthetic of photos that I'd chosen to accompany the articles. Making sure the vision of my dream was not tainted by my incompetency.

If there's anything I've learnt within the confines of these circumstances, it's the code of professional conduct.

In all it's glory, responsibility is something I tend to abolish and glower at. The possibilities to be blamed and burdened is enough for me to turn a blind eye when it comes to assignments and similar hogwash. But truth be told, you grow older and you'll realise that an ounce of responsibility is substantial - it has the power to catapult you to attain your goals. That being said responsibility isn't enough. Delivery, comes with it. It's the real world and people aren't interested in ineptitude. Your excuses, your emotions, your background stories, hold no gravity at all in the realm of professionalism. What matters is the results, the products and it's quality. How you achieve the end, is all up to your own creativity.

I roughed out the whole morning being tested and tried to the edge of my skilled sanity.The cosmos today lovingly decided to jolt me with a thunderbolt of practical aptitude tests, reminding me of the life lessons you don't really gain from the course syllabus. Preparation, communication, patience, decision making, sacrifice and determination was basically shoved down my brain for breakfast. In this case, I managed to grapple a rollercoaster role that went 180 from the pissed off, uninformed customer aghast at the shortcomings of my commission, transformed two hours later to the customer that had to save face and maintain grace to ask for a job to be redone due to my own misinformation.  

The whole sordid tale is too pathetic to be lamented upon but just for the record.. 1. Wake up early. 2. If it's that important. Prepare. Prepare. PREPARE. 3. If you're bounded by a product deadline and there happens to be a setback, inform the client and members accountable for it too. Leaving team mates behind in an oblivious state is uncool. 4. In the face of fuck ups, calm the hell down. Nobody is interested in a drama queen repertoire. 5. Don't waste time complaining. 6. Don't skip class. 7. Make sure you're aware of the details of your assignment down to a tee. 8. If you're the messenger, make sure everyone who's supposed to get the message, actually gets the message. 9. On the spot decision making is sometimes necessary. Decide. Decide. 10. And last, but not least: If you need something done, get it done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About

Carpe Diem.

Labels