Friday, July 6, 2012

Superheroes!

In our world of clustered communities, there is an assembly of those I consider simply beautiful, strong, and spirited to be who they are, fiercely standing up to odds instead of crumbling in the face of its unfair tribulations. They are the heroes and stars of my heart: extra special, with extra powers, presently experiencing daily norms in ways few will ever know or bear. 

I met one hero yesterday. Her name is Kak Yati, she is 29 years old. She doesn't wear a cape, and -to my knowledge- has never been bitten by a radioactive spider. On the contrary, Kak Yati is shorter than me, and she is a masseuse from Brickfields. She is part of a program that aids in providing income, by training people in skilled services such as massaging. Kak Yati, is blind. 

Upon our meeting, I was rendered star struck by her dazzling smile. I was with her for a foot massage, an act for a catalogue photo with the state library, and I am not sure if I would have ever done so otherwise. We began happily conversing about ourselves, but abruptly stopped when she heard the clicks of the officer's camera. She turned to me worriedly and asked, in Malay,

"Are you taking a photo?"



"Just a few," I assured her, trying to inject as much smile in my voice. "It's for the library."
"Oh, but please don't!" she cried out, and for a moment I worried that I had thoughtlessly offended her. "I am not ready, especially my tudung - it is a bit crooked at the moment!" 

And for an infinite second, I was struck speechless. 

I gulped. "It's okay, let me fix it for you." And so I leaned forward, and tucked in the stray hairs under her scarf, and adjusted it upright, then held her shoulders tight as I looked her over. 
"Ha, ni baru okay." And Kak Yati smiled her dazzling smile, and we continued on. 


I am not exactly sure how to describe the immense profoundness that bubbled within me during our encounter. It was one thing to have a person, who is disabled physically, to aid me physically. But it was also another point that I was able to help her, at least in some way, by acknowledging her part in the community as a masseuse, and a good one at that. 

There are some young ones without parents, some without homes, without any prospects of income, without perfect physical abilities, or without fully developed mental capacities, that are very much worse off. And for us, with what odds we have, should make do and make the best of it - not only for ourselves, but for others, too J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About

Carpe Diem.

Labels