'You see, when I was a young boy, fresh from school, my father was upset that he couldn't afford to put me into university. But I was young, and I was optimistic, so I said 'it's okay dad, I'll work, I can get myself into university.' And so I started out working as a sales assistant at a computer shop - and that's when I realised I had the gift of gab! I could sell anything I wanted! I made so many sales! It got me into university and through university as well. And while I was doing this job I went up the ranks and went higher, higher and then I became a general manager. At the age of 21, I was the most successful salesman in Asia Pacific, earning a five figure salary.
'So one day, this lady comes into the store and went up to me and said 'my son was just accepted into university! I want to get him a really nice computer!' She was such a proud mother, so happy and enthusiastic and yes, proud. I rubbed my hands in glee and thought 'enthusiastic mother- easy sale!' So I showed her the first computer, one of our latest models and did my pitch - longevity, processors, all that, and I saw her face drop. I thought 'never mind, this could still work'. So I showed her our second newest computer, slightly of a lower spec, I pitched it good - and her face dropped some more. And then it dawned on me 'man, this lady, I bet this is a financial constraint - she doesn't have enough money for these. What a waste of my time'.
'I sighed, and looked at her, and asked 'Cik, macam ni lah, cik ada berapa?' And that's when, to my discomfort and surprise, she started to tear up. She wiped little pricks of tears at the corner of her eyes and took out from her pocket, one by one, a small bunch of crumpled 50 ringgit notes. And she tried to smooth them out and handed them to me and I remember counting this out, while she stood there with a sad, sad look in her eyes. Then I asked, 'where do you work?' She gave a small smile and said 'Cik ni jual nasi lemak dekat tepi tu, anak mak cik yang sulung yang belajar pandai.' I was, speechless. I realised, in my goal to make this sale, I was about to cheat on this lady, this old, innocent, lady. What kind of man did that make me?
'You see - we are all, one way or another, chasing successes, striving for our goals. While that is very, very admirable, while we're all working to make a change, to make an impact, to become achievers in the walks of life, it is very important, very elementary, that we do not forget who we are inside. That we do not forget our roots, where we come from, and how fortunate we are. Sitting in front of our laptops, wearing clean clothes, looking forward to a good spread of food later. There are a lot of people out there, still struggling, still fighting, to be where you are now. So while I am very happy, that you choose and have found your ambitions and your stance to create changes - I hope that you never, ever forget what's important, and who you are inside.'
'So one day, this lady comes into the store and went up to me and said 'my son was just accepted into university! I want to get him a really nice computer!' She was such a proud mother, so happy and enthusiastic and yes, proud. I rubbed my hands in glee and thought 'enthusiastic mother- easy sale!' So I showed her the first computer, one of our latest models and did my pitch - longevity, processors, all that, and I saw her face drop. I thought 'never mind, this could still work'. So I showed her our second newest computer, slightly of a lower spec, I pitched it good - and her face dropped some more. And then it dawned on me 'man, this lady, I bet this is a financial constraint - she doesn't have enough money for these. What a waste of my time'.
'I sighed, and looked at her, and asked 'Cik, macam ni lah, cik ada berapa?' And that's when, to my discomfort and surprise, she started to tear up. She wiped little pricks of tears at the corner of her eyes and took out from her pocket, one by one, a small bunch of crumpled 50 ringgit notes. And she tried to smooth them out and handed them to me and I remember counting this out, while she stood there with a sad, sad look in her eyes. Then I asked, 'where do you work?' She gave a small smile and said 'Cik ni jual nasi lemak dekat tepi tu, anak mak cik yang sulung yang belajar pandai.' I was, speechless. I realised, in my goal to make this sale, I was about to cheat on this lady, this old, innocent, lady. What kind of man did that make me?
'You see - we are all, one way or another, chasing successes, striving for our goals. While that is very, very admirable, while we're all working to make a change, to make an impact, to become achievers in the walks of life, it is very important, very elementary, that we do not forget who we are inside. That we do not forget our roots, where we come from, and how fortunate we are. Sitting in front of our laptops, wearing clean clothes, looking forward to a good spread of food later. There are a lot of people out there, still struggling, still fighting, to be where you are now. So while I am very happy, that you choose and have found your ambitions and your stance to create changes - I hope that you never, ever forget what's important, and who you are inside.'
No comments:
Post a Comment