By chance last night my mother ended up sleeping next to me on my bed - the sleeping arrangements within my family has a sort of lotto win ring to it - and it had been a while. The room was just a nice, refreshing cold and I was ready to drift off into slumber when suddenly, without warning, her hand swung out through the darkness and touched my face. Her fingers proceeded to pinch my cheeks and brush the stray hair away from my ears, rubbing my skin and rendered me quiet alarmed.
I whispered out loud "Mum, what are you doing, are you okay?" To which she replied, "I'm fine, I just want to check that my daughter is all grown up and well." She patted my shoulder and squeezed my arm and with a satisfied sigh, took back to snuggling into her bed covers. After this, for quite a while I couldn't keep a smile off my face. I was alight with the awareness that every molecule in me was alive, ignited with the fact that I actually exist. I took up space and I am a bodily mass and someone, at least someone, cared enough to check that fact properly.
No comments:
Post a Comment