'Why do you constantly find ways to torture yourself?'
'It isn't torture.'
'Then?'
It's different. Running is different. It's the wind whistling past you, the hammering of your heart against your chest, the pounding of your feet on pavements, sweat pouring down your skin. It's your body's mechanism in motion, while your head is free. It's pushing yourself till you're breathless, parched, exhausted, but knowing that you're capable of fleeing that far, away from everything. At the core of it, it feels like it's just you versus the world.
It was a whole other experience, to be running with such an enormous crowd, made stranger by the fact that a large percentage of it were my peers. I felt inconsequential, like one little ant out of thousands, which I was, but more so given that whatever happened that day, knowing that in a race with such vigorous participants, it was a little far out to imagine winning a medal. Minutes before the gun fired I remembered telling myself that this was for me, for fun, for what I could do. With ego and competitiveness aside, I very much, enjoyed the day.
I'll never forget the outstanding crowd snaking all over Akleh, specks of black and muted colours in constant, rippling motion. Won't forget the sight of the concert stage at the end of the run, lights flaring, music throbbing, silhouettes flickering across the decks. I grasped onto some stranger - it was a girl, her name was Quin or Xuan or something - clutched her arm so hard so that I wouldn't fall out of dizziness the moment I sprinted past the finishing line. My body was so zoned out, couldn't even stomach Nirwana's delicious rice for dinner. But I had an amazing time.
Biggest gratitude to D, Sn, Arf, to R, for making the day what it was. Next run coming up! (;
Completed the 10km (plus!) at 1 hour 16 minutes in the top 500. Couldn't be more proud of my (untrained, unprepared) feet :B




No comments:
Post a Comment