Recently, a friend of mine posted a complaint about the Malaysian heat on her account. The comment wasn't grammatically and terminologically correct, but her friends understood it, and she received a lot of likes and re-posts. Fairly enough, I understood the sentiment as well. But I couldn't help wondering, what was the point of grammar, if everyone understood what you were trying to say, without it being technically correct?
Being fond of all things literature I was troubled. I wanted answers. So I turned back to what I did best, I began to read. More. Not for learning its content, but to search the purpose of its sentence structures and delivery style. I read articles. Blogs. Poems. Biographies. Speeches. I experimented talking in small pixels of emoticons, body gestures, short forms. Because, above all, the basis of words is to communicate. And as long as the idea is relayed and received, intact, what should grammar or a flowering vocabulary matter?
And then I stumbled upon a poem. I felt such a longing in my heart that is was bizarre and profound. That's when I realised I had my answer. Words, like actions, like pictures, when used correctly, have the power of impact, can crazily change people.
This is how political leaders win elections through speeches of exuberant promises, and good public relations. That is why quotes from the greatest humans of our time lasts even after their demise. The reason lyrics echo in our heart, the reasons we sign documents with our names under oath. The greatest assets of the world are libraries. The best treasures of the world can be found in books. Billions of people follow religions that is relayed to them through paper and ink. We base our lives literally under words of law, and sentences of faith.
Grammar provides these sentences and words ultimate power. With precise terms and letters, information is given correctly, properly, truthfully. Grammar connotes education, it shows structure, discipline, and knowledge. The knowledge of a million words and its uses, the ability to communicate fluently, with confidence and without hesitation. The perfection of finding the exact term in descriptions and explanations, the supremacy to teach, and observe as others understand your ideas and watch them bloom.
Being fond of all things literature I was troubled. I wanted answers. So I turned back to what I did best, I began to read. More. Not for learning its content, but to search the purpose of its sentence structures and delivery style. I read articles. Blogs. Poems. Biographies. Speeches. I experimented talking in small pixels of emoticons, body gestures, short forms. Because, above all, the basis of words is to communicate. And as long as the idea is relayed and received, intact, what should grammar or a flowering vocabulary matter?
And then I stumbled upon a poem. I felt such a longing in my heart that is was bizarre and profound. That's when I realised I had my answer. Words, like actions, like pictures, when used correctly, have the power of impact, can crazily change people.
This is how political leaders win elections through speeches of exuberant promises, and good public relations. That is why quotes from the greatest humans of our time lasts even after their demise. The reason lyrics echo in our heart, the reasons we sign documents with our names under oath. The greatest assets of the world are libraries. The best treasures of the world can be found in books. Billions of people follow religions that is relayed to them through paper and ink. We base our lives literally under words of law, and sentences of faith.
Grammar provides these sentences and words ultimate power. With precise terms and letters, information is given correctly, properly, truthfully. Grammar connotes education, it shows structure, discipline, and knowledge. The knowledge of a million words and its uses, the ability to communicate fluently, with confidence and without hesitation. The perfection of finding the exact term in descriptions and explanations, the supremacy to teach, and observe as others understand your ideas and watch them bloom.
No comments:
Post a Comment