Monday, June 24, 2013

Apocalyptic I

Challenge 16: If the world were to end tomorrow, 
what would you do with your remaining time on earth?

Oh, but don't you just love that, seeing great monuments fall, finding abandoned grandeur corrode to chaotic beauty?

As much as I'd like to relay how zen and collected I'd be, the reality of it is that, in the event of an apocalypse I'd honestly be terrified beyond being. A lot of people would perhaps address the issue with a list of things to do before they die, some poignant, some in a 'you only live once' manner; but the truth of it is that were I to know the exact date of a world ending I'd probably curl up in the arms of my mother while crying for salvation. That aside, at the topic's initial glance, the first thought popped up in my mind was: do you mean if the world as we know it to end? Theoretically a world could still exist beyond the point of our present existence. And it's so interesting to figure that out, how our species would evolve, bearing in mind other people's theory of a post apocalyptic society.

Suzanne Collins described a world of segregation and extremes; where after a nuclear war, the human population was divided into a super rich, super extravagant and strangely stylish population, and another community of poor, malnourished, sacrificing, community to serve their luxurious counterparts. The same concept was propagated in Blomkamp's Elysium, where a first class society relished in a high tech, pampered living, and stragglers on earth were riddled with disease and disaster. It was taken to higher extremes by Wachowski and Tykwer, depicting how the humans on earth reverted to stone age survival and cannibalism, while those residing in outer space relied on nuclear fusion technology.

In his book The Time Keeper, Albom envisioned a distant future, where human forms were slightly shifted in size and physique, and were devoid of emotion: a man who was preserved in ice became a museum specimen, and his thoughts wired to a broadcasting system for exhibition, just so the population could understand 'emotions'. Works by Proyas and Asimov (Bicentennial Man), and even Spielberg, among many others, conveyed the idea of dominant artificial intelligence. Where technology became so prominent that it took over human interaction, relationships and judgement. Several articles in TIME addressed the issue of religion being irrelevant in a future society. That the word and structure, but perhaps not its values, would cease and become historical 'myths'.

The most interesting part of these predictions is that it's almost already true. Because i) division of the global community is already occurring. A sweep through international news would give an idea of the extremes in first world and third world countries; "I desire Balenciaga vs. The soil is soft for sleeping" ii) the very concept of religion is being questioned more so at this age than in any other in history. With the world becoming such a barrier free plane, a multicultural, multireligious generation exposed and tolerant of each other's beliefs, are already adjusting the outlook towards religion; iii) as per technology taking over human interaction, a look around in an average household can clock in the amount of machinery and mechanisms being applied in daily life.

But perhaps the singularly most intriguing of it all is that all these predictions are leaning towards dividing extremes: where interaction is cut off, subjective faith and emotion is abandoned, and society is alienated and estranged. Why, is no one predicting a world where the two extremes would work together and create a generically balanced life system? Why is no one assuming that post world demolition, the human species would support each other, instead of preserving a rich and blessed set, while ignoring the weak and unlucky? Why are technological corporations not equally focusing and creating programs facilitating real time human interaction, rather than providing applications that distract them? And is the irrelevance of religion directly related to the corrosion of our integral moral values?

It's questions like this, about the current society's structure, that will inevitably shape the future generation, and the determine the manner in which the world would end.

2 comments:

  1. Before I start giving my two cents on the topic, can I just tell you how good you are at writing. The intro, WEH. Honestly I just woke up from my nap and that bit alone made my cogwheels running. Except for the extra "the" at the end, the way you write reminds me so much of someone I once knew. She could wrap me around her finger in a single paragraph, and you possess that same quality.

    I, too, agree that there will be two extremes in the post apocalyptic society. The social hierarchy, instead of having the shape of the usual pyramid, will be more of an hourglass where the middle class (now the minority) mainly functions as a bridge between those two extremes. At the risk of sounding like I've lost my faith in humanity, I do believe that when push comes to shove the veils will be lifted, revealing the true colours of us so called advanced species. Generally we are selfish. And IMO that alone plays a large role as to why we have persevered this long. The desire to live. The will to survive, strong enough we'd step on our own kind.

    However, I disagree that religion will be irrelevant in a future society simply because since the dawn of mankind, we have been searching for a higher power. It's like we're permanently wired to believe or at least ponder in the existence of something far greater, something omnipotent, whenever we gaze into the vast sky. I believe at a certain degree, everyone is able to see the world in a grain of sand, and heaven in a wild flower.

    "Oh, but don't you just love that, seeing great monuments fall, finding abandoned grandeur corrode to chaotic beauty?"
    Good God, woman. How did you even come up with such a sentence?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree so much with the selfish, survival instincts of humankind. Which brings about another thought: if we are all, at the core of it, programmed to survive, how far does moral values carry us? that civility is only applicable in masses, during networking, to be the best tan sri in the society, but not applicable when you're marooned in a cannibalistic island with a someone else and only one person can live?

    I think I meant to say religion as we know it, right now, might cease to end. There's been thousands of interpretations of religion throughout history. who's to say that the teachings/commandements/hadith that are being taught now, will still be relevant in a post future? not saying i don't believe in religion. it just gives for interesting thought :) and yeap, religion is basically like a line towards faith that everyone needs to call up once in a while.

    the THE was a typo ok! not typo la, but its not meant to be there. boooo. haha. the intro is actually part of a paragraph i wrote, but never posted, yet. might do some time soon.

    thanks for your thoughts ^^

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

About

Carpe Diem.

Labels