On the day after my last exam paper for my degree course, I started working full time. It wasn't a tough transition since I was already juggling three part time jobs during the semester. I was introduced into the world of broadcasting through a formal interview (that with sheer luck, was an opening for an English speaking editor/newsreader for an online news platform) and was offered the position on the spot during my final year. The rest, they say, is history.
The job scope was amazingly refreshing as it was basically the intake and analysis of news every day. I would tag into the office and scan the international feed, as well as the stories from in house reporters, whip them up into paragraphs, spruce myself up in make-up and wardrobe, then stand in front of the camera for recording. It was nerve wrecking the first few times but as with all things it grew to a developed skill, and eventually became a big part of my life.
The whole news reading affair was only a small portion of the working experience. Being in a government aligned broadcasting station had it's many perks in terms of honing people skills. I found myself in situations hard pressed to be involved in anywhere else. From reporting live right in the city center, to brushing shoulders with top ministry officials, to exposing myself to a wide network of media practitioners and employment opportunities.
It was incredible to participate in such a diverse range of work, to understand, to an extent, the structures of office politics and the importance of professional ethics. Even more so, coming fresh from university. There is a vast chasm between the world of academics and industry that can only be familiarised through first hand presence. As it is with the employment landscape in Malaysia, network is vital, but selling yourself in the first place, is paramount, too. In order to do these things, you must know who exactly you are involved with and taylor yourself to their requirements. Adapt yourself! A skill. It isn't a lesson that is easily earned elsewhere.
One of the first few trials.
I owe the beautiful and intelligent creature posing next to me millions of kisses.
Aside from the slew of life lessons, I was personally more gratified by the financial gains that funded half a year's worth of travelling, musings, and more. It was more satisfying than little else in the world to be able to support myself and be at liberty to do whatever I wished.









No comments:
Post a Comment