(i) Me and them
I am growing enormously wary of the company I keep and their extensions, finding the art of opening up and engaging self solicited conversations to be a tedious and slightly harrowing process. If the situation calls for civility and social conduct, I am capable of striking up exchanges of mutual interests and mundane agendas. It's easy enough to vocalise an endless stream of mildly engaging chatter, splattered with giggles and knowledge, especially with trivial topics like the weather or recent movies, or even gadgets. There is an abundance of people in this world with which to break ice. But to be able to open up - really, truly, bare, even a tiny opening, of the person I am inside, is a feat that has rare occurrence. The barricades for my individual anatomies have been fortified. On public display are my skin and bones and body, the volume of my voice, the threads I carry. But my intimate ideas, my particular goals, my peculiar quirks and the people I cherish - basically, the fragments of my soul - are reserved for the select number of people whose wavelengths I tally. A side effect of growing up, of experiencing people: you begin to appreciate the kind of company you need.
(ii) Them and I
As with most meaningful encounters, it begins with chance meetings orchestrated by mutual acquaintances. A shared enthusiasm on similar activities, the thrill of finding a discussion altered from the norms of gossip and chatter, conversing instead of our interests and views of the world. It continues with the courage of inviting extended friends, collecting a group whose backgrounds differ sporadically, and somehow uniting in discourse over home cooked food and couch potato movie sessions. Somewhere in between the uproarious laughter and lazy no-bath hangouts, we find that we don't need to put up a facade. This friendship calls for no egos, no snide comments, no expectations of high order. On the contrary we are upfront, open, real - we become ourselves, complete with our disgusting and annoying flaws. We call each other out and encourage each other's endeavors, extend words of strength for calamities. A bond is founded based on mutual principles of trust, loyalty and comfort. Another side effect of growing up and experiencing people: you recognize that quality relationships are the rare gems, the people who are for keeps.
I am growing enormously wary of the company I keep and their extensions, finding the art of opening up and engaging self solicited conversations to be a tedious and slightly harrowing process. If the situation calls for civility and social conduct, I am capable of striking up exchanges of mutual interests and mundane agendas. It's easy enough to vocalise an endless stream of mildly engaging chatter, splattered with giggles and knowledge, especially with trivial topics like the weather or recent movies, or even gadgets. There is an abundance of people in this world with which to break ice. But to be able to open up - really, truly, bare, even a tiny opening, of the person I am inside, is a feat that has rare occurrence. The barricades for my individual anatomies have been fortified. On public display are my skin and bones and body, the volume of my voice, the threads I carry. But my intimate ideas, my particular goals, my peculiar quirks and the people I cherish - basically, the fragments of my soul - are reserved for the select number of people whose wavelengths I tally. A side effect of growing up, of experiencing people: you begin to appreciate the kind of company you need.
(ii) Them and I
As with most meaningful encounters, it begins with chance meetings orchestrated by mutual acquaintances. A shared enthusiasm on similar activities, the thrill of finding a discussion altered from the norms of gossip and chatter, conversing instead of our interests and views of the world. It continues with the courage of inviting extended friends, collecting a group whose backgrounds differ sporadically, and somehow uniting in discourse over home cooked food and couch potato movie sessions. Somewhere in between the uproarious laughter and lazy no-bath hangouts, we find that we don't need to put up a facade. This friendship calls for no egos, no snide comments, no expectations of high order. On the contrary we are upfront, open, real - we become ourselves, complete with our disgusting and annoying flaws. We call each other out and encourage each other's endeavors, extend words of strength for calamities. A bond is founded based on mutual principles of trust, loyalty and comfort. Another side effect of growing up and experiencing people: you recognize that quality relationships are the rare gems, the people who are for keeps.
No comments:
Post a Comment