"Do you have a vagina?"
"Yes."
"Then. Irrespective of your internal emotions. You are, without doubt, a girl. A female homo sapien. As classified by science, pertaining to years of medical and researching development."
"But why must I adhere to technical categorizations? Why must my identity, what I like and feel, be dictated by the scientific society and the human need to understand the universe through specifying all things within it? I would like to be referred to as a boy, whether or not I possess the anatomical organs that should associate me with being one."
"You seem very adamant and very confident with your personal bearing."
"I am. I know who I am. I feel it in my bones. I am not a girl."
"Let me ask you something. If the Sun was categorized as a planet, would it stop expelling heat?"
"No. Of course not."
"Then. Irregardless of whoever calls you whatever, should it matter so much that you must defend yourself against them or their thoughts of you? Could you not call the Sun god damn Neptune and it would still be a globe of gas illuminating the galaxy? It would not bother to defend itself from the minds of people, it would just be. Ergo, you, should not concern yourself so much about names, and more about your own self."
"That's different. That's a sun. It escapes the multitude of expectations from society."
"It's not different. People still expect things from the weather. If you can call yourself something else other than what society has labled you, then you could be a bicycle and they would equally fight your stand and put assumptions on your functionality. You don't want to be a girl? You want to be a boy? Boys have a certain gender role too. 'Boy' is still a label and a category, you are still trapped within society's expectations.
What I'm trying to say is, the fact that you do have a vagina and that you are acknowledged as a girl must be taken into account - it exists, it does not change. The only thing that alters this fact, is your own concept. You are a girl, but you like football - it does not make you any less of a girl, or shrink your anatomical parts. You are what you are. And what you are, at the bottom of it, can only be defined by yourself and your own interpretations of the way society has defined you."
I read a piece on Shiloh Jolie-Pitt (she prefers male pronouns and insists on being called John), and ended up having this conversation in my head. This is the standard mental speculation that goes on when I cross something mildly interesting, and my mind would go a mile and a lightyear to analyse it to death.
"Yes."
"Then. Irrespective of your internal emotions. You are, without doubt, a girl. A female homo sapien. As classified by science, pertaining to years of medical and researching development."
"But why must I adhere to technical categorizations? Why must my identity, what I like and feel, be dictated by the scientific society and the human need to understand the universe through specifying all things within it? I would like to be referred to as a boy, whether or not I possess the anatomical organs that should associate me with being one."
"You seem very adamant and very confident with your personal bearing."
"I am. I know who I am. I feel it in my bones. I am not a girl."
"Let me ask you something. If the Sun was categorized as a planet, would it stop expelling heat?"
"No. Of course not."
"Then. Irregardless of whoever calls you whatever, should it matter so much that you must defend yourself against them or their thoughts of you? Could you not call the Sun god damn Neptune and it would still be a globe of gas illuminating the galaxy? It would not bother to defend itself from the minds of people, it would just be. Ergo, you, should not concern yourself so much about names, and more about your own self."
"That's different. That's a sun. It escapes the multitude of expectations from society."
"It's not different. People still expect things from the weather. If you can call yourself something else other than what society has labled you, then you could be a bicycle and they would equally fight your stand and put assumptions on your functionality. You don't want to be a girl? You want to be a boy? Boys have a certain gender role too. 'Boy' is still a label and a category, you are still trapped within society's expectations.
What I'm trying to say is, the fact that you do have a vagina and that you are acknowledged as a girl must be taken into account - it exists, it does not change. The only thing that alters this fact, is your own concept. You are a girl, but you like football - it does not make you any less of a girl, or shrink your anatomical parts. You are what you are. And what you are, at the bottom of it, can only be defined by yourself and your own interpretations of the way society has defined you."
I read a piece on Shiloh Jolie-Pitt (she prefers male pronouns and insists on being called John), and ended up having this conversation in my head. This is the standard mental speculation that goes on when I cross something mildly interesting, and my mind would go a mile and a lightyear to analyse it to death.
No comments:
Post a Comment