"You're so against being tied down to a category, a label, it's almost a sin to you."
"I'm not against labeling. Malcolm Gladwell hit the spot when he elaborated on how humans tend to pick the prominent aspects of a person as opposed to conveying their whole qualities, because with it, is just easier for us to navigate interpersonal relationships. A person who is collectively grumpy, patient, strict, lovable and creative might in the end be objectified as a grumpy person, even if the margin of eminence is 1% more than the other characteristics.
On the labling: I grew up with close proximity to my elder cousin, and in the duration of our constant play I increasingly looked up to and admired her. She had all these favorite colors and I thought I had to have them too. So I crafted diaries dedicated to lists with all of my favourite movies, food and pop bands as a way of identifying myself.
As I got older I realised I didn't quite need labels like that to define me, and developed on to understanding myself through my thoughts and my goals.
It's not that I'm against labeling. If anything, especially on social accounts, we voluntarily label ourselves even though we are aware that what we are stating isn't entirely ourselves. For example my instagram profiles my account with the words Architecture and Adventures, even though there are posts that are unrelated to either of those topics, and there are times in reality where I am having an entirely non architectural or adventurous day. I'm just categorising the account based on the majority of its contents.
In this end, we go back to Malcolm Gladwell and his theories of specifying people. We specify ourselves too. Again, I am not against labeling. The fundamental basis of it is that I'm against believing the sum of a person through one word, technically, I am against discrimination. I suppose as long as we accept that the word is just a part of the person or the thing, leaving space for doubt and discovery, then it's perfectly fine with me."
Elaborated Whatsapp conversations, 2/1/2015.
"I'm not against labeling. Malcolm Gladwell hit the spot when he elaborated on how humans tend to pick the prominent aspects of a person as opposed to conveying their whole qualities, because with it, is just easier for us to navigate interpersonal relationships. A person who is collectively grumpy, patient, strict, lovable and creative might in the end be objectified as a grumpy person, even if the margin of eminence is 1% more than the other characteristics.
On the labling: I grew up with close proximity to my elder cousin, and in the duration of our constant play I increasingly looked up to and admired her. She had all these favorite colors and I thought I had to have them too. So I crafted diaries dedicated to lists with all of my favourite movies, food and pop bands as a way of identifying myself.
As I got older I realised I didn't quite need labels like that to define me, and developed on to understanding myself through my thoughts and my goals.
It's not that I'm against labeling. If anything, especially on social accounts, we voluntarily label ourselves even though we are aware that what we are stating isn't entirely ourselves. For example my instagram profiles my account with the words Architecture and Adventures, even though there are posts that are unrelated to either of those topics, and there are times in reality where I am having an entirely non architectural or adventurous day. I'm just categorising the account based on the majority of its contents.
In this end, we go back to Malcolm Gladwell and his theories of specifying people. We specify ourselves too. Again, I am not against labeling. The fundamental basis of it is that I'm against believing the sum of a person through one word, technically, I am against discrimination. I suppose as long as we accept that the word is just a part of the person or the thing, leaving space for doubt and discovery, then it's perfectly fine with me."
Elaborated Whatsapp conversations, 2/1/2015.
No comments:
Post a Comment