Tuesday, August 18, 2015

I went to The Louvre when I was 8

18. Talk about something that happened in elementary school

When I was 9 years old, my class took a trip to a local museum in Manchester. Being the nerd that I am, I was seated next to one of the mothers in the Parent Board who had joined us for the excursion. Some way along the journey she asked me of the sort of art I enjoyed. I'm not sure if she expected me to answer in the line of liking watercolour or crayon drawings, but I replied, "I like the Mona Lisa. It isn't that beautiful, but a lot of people are really into it, and I would like to learn why it is so special."

She met this response with a gasp and said out loud, "but you're so young! How do you know about the Mona Lisa?" To which she turned and told the teacher who was in front of us of how the awareness of arts must be enhanced in primary schools.

To this day I hope that the world of international art would fascinate other 9 year olds as much as it fascinated me then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About

Carpe Diem.

Labels