Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Call 911 now we've got a breach

I value these sort of comments so much, only for the perspective and discussion that they generate. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but unfortunately I prefer the ask, discuss and understand approach, rather than the assume and attack method. A human being is so much more than the facets they project on public domains. I digress. Thanks, anon :)

Would appreciate it if you stop sucking people into your vanity project. Successful people, in their 20s, use their money to concentrate and invest on ideas that will change the world. Travelling with very little purpose is what kids normally do.


Hey, thank you so much for this. I've to say I agree with everything you say. A lot of people nowadays deal with surface issues, and parade them as gigantic causes. I'm not holding a vanity project, and I'm sorry that you consider my travels as this. True, at times I do post unrelated personal photos, and a lot of decorative content - but that's what I enjoy doing, it makes me happy, and it's an outlet for my hobbies. Hobbies.
Here's what doesn't come out on my social media profiles: how I've learned to put trust in strangers and rely on my own instincts at 12 midnight in the middle of a empty street, how some of the cultural influences has helped me generate ideas for social and company projects during work, how I've conversed and heard stories of other people's incredible lives, and shared that with my friends back home during our discussions on life and goals. How all that has changed myself as person today, and help me secure my scholarship when I shared my knowledge in international issues, and creative presentation skills.
Here's what else that doesn't come out on my accounts: the 20 hours I worked during my gap year to collect money to travel, how I cried and told myself to stick through, managing multiple projects and meetings, how I gave some of my earnings back to my siblings and my parents (how my dad cried the first time I did this, and how much that mattered to me), the money I save up not eating out to support me eating in a different country, the actual volunteering I do back home in Malaysia - from weekly soup kitchen (the sheer humility you get when you feed an older homeless person), to donation drives, teaching art classes and games at orphanages (how the laughter of children can simply make your day), to working over the summer as a marketing and brand consultant (discussing impactful ideas and strategies for a local startup) - things I enjoy doing, the struggles, and not the things I often show.
What occurs on my social media account, isn't even 50% of who I am as a person. Those are the rewards that I get. I wish I could share these back stories (I'm having trouble finding time to properly articulate them). As active as I am on the internet, I am living life as best as I can out here. Trust me, I've been wondering of ways to give back more to the community (to my capabilities), and I've small projects ongoing as of now. They're not big things, but I know at times they do make a difference to those on the receiving end. I am by all means not saying that this is enough and this is super important, but it is something, and something always counts, and we could all do better.
We're all human, we all find purpose in different pursuits, and some of them affects our lives in ways others can't comprehend. Some lucky people find singular pursuits early in their 20s - others, find their interest in a myriad of things later, and neither of this is no better than the other. As long as we progress and improve.

As a bumiputera who has also benefited from scholarships from the state's coffers, I think if you're just planning to go to a subpar university and seeks to just travel leisurely..that money should've gone to a gifted non-bumiputera.

First off, congratulations for having secured a scholarship that has enabled you to step out of your comfort zone to pursue a higher education. I wish that your statements would have been less accusatory and prejudiced.
I have my reasons for enrolling onto my university, that includes the personal interview that I attended, having conversed with the admissions tutor, and having seen a presentation of the facilities that were offered. I was accepted into a multitude of other universities, Sheffield, RMIT, and Manchester to name a few, but I chose to go here. I'm not saying this is my best decision to date hahaha, but I'm doing my best with this learning opportunity.
On travelling leisurely - refer the previous question that I answered. In essence, it is leisure, but you learn so much more soft skills and garner perspective (as cliched as this response may be) but it has helped me so much, truly. I am thankful that I am able to make small talk and create worldwide connections, rather than be trapped in a narrow minded judgmental mentality.
I'm not so vain to consider myself gifted, but I do have skills that I presented during the interview process that has generated my scholar award. There are numerous straight A list students who have not received a scholarship - and for the sake of argument, it is possible because that haven't presented themselves well. I do agree with you a gifted non bumiputera (with the right attitude, skills and bearings), deserves a scholarship.
Please share with me, what do you consider as 'gifted' person, and what are your gifts that has earned you your scholarship? I am sincerely curious.

Someone who could contribute to real change, not someone whose pseudo ambition is to create a persona of a traveller. I shriek every time I see people say they want to emulate you.

Honestly, a part of me does shrink (not shriek) a little whenever someone says they want to emulate me - because personally I do believe I have not done enough, that I am capable of so much more.
But here's where we differ: I appreciate every single person who has found some semblance of inspiration in my life pursuits (be it through whatever it is I project to the public). Inspiring others is something I consider of great value, I myself am inspired by so many others for their various qualities - from kindness, to CAD skills, to relentless active participation. If what you do makes someone work harder to achieve their goals, or changes a person's abilities and outlooks - that's something worthwhile. I consider even the tiniest positive impact on another human being as a "real change".
A "real change" is not exclusive to the magnitude of creating electricity for 100 people. A "real change" can sometimes occur within yourself, and influence what you do with your family 20 years down the road, or can make a random stranger who has followed you on their social media account smile after having a bad day. What do you consider as a "real change", anon? Surely, your definition shouldn't be as narrow as your statement implies.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About

Carpe Diem.

Labels