Tuesday, November 17, 2015

#Prayfortheworld

I just personally believe that changing my profile picture adopt the tricolour symbol of France's flag in light of the recent attacks in Paris is doing more harm than good. It is a well-intended marketing ploy of support on Facebook's part, but in the grander scheme of things I do think that it contributes to an "us-them" mentality, and subconsciously creates support for European/western supremacy. Where was this option during many other global conflicts and terror attacks? It doesn't seem fair, and I do not wish to further support this unfairness.

That aside, my heart goes out to all victims of injustice and inhumanity. I sincerely hope that the attacks and aftermath on a first world country could begin to increase debate, discourse and more calculated action. But seeing President Hollande's response to retaliate against "Islamic state" (source: Reuters) is deeply saddening and uneducated, still. That label is wrong. And that labeling is costing lives, actively and passively.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About

Carpe Diem.

Labels