Monday, April 18, 2016

Like the universe, we expand

Have you ever thought
"Oh my god, I would never do that" or,
"I don't think I could be friends with someone like that" or,
"That would never be me."

Recently, I found myself in a situation where I had to be in the company of a person for a long period of time, and through the exchanges of our life stories, found ourselves to be astonishingly different in terms of personality. I recall thinking, "if this was high school, I don't think we would ever have spoken to each other." In simpler terms, the guy who skips class rarely communicates with the teacher's pet. But that's what I love about the real world and growing - you cast down your prejudice, you talk, and you find common human ground and interests. You find that you both share a similar flaw, or a relatable emotion, or kindred habit. In this manner, you open up your heart and mind to concepts and figures that are foreign to you. This, I suppose, is the essence of tightening silaturrahim.

The same way that I have once looked at other people who were in mind boggling situations, and told myself that I would never be in their position (in the riak vein of, how irresponsible or weak could you be? How could you let yourself go or let that happen to you? *I shake my head*). This statement is terrible insane now - I can't tell you the number of unprecedented situations I have faced in the past year alone. I've found myself questioning universal motifs of fate and destiny, or trying to find hikmah in the most minuscule events. We could try our best to avoid a dreadful outcome - and still land smacked in the middle of a disaster. End up realising that the other person you had observed when you were younger - when you saw them screwing up, or going through a hard time, or doing wrong - that there's just more to the situation than you could ever imagine. Like this, He is merciful and covers our aib.

This is a blooming thought that has slowly been sinking in me in the last few years - and bear with me, I know it may be obvious. But I've had so many conversations with people of such diverse character, and found myself in positions that I considered the stuff of fiction, that all a lot of my initial walls have crumbled. I'm just placing this thought here, to embrace diversity, to shed discrimination, to give room for doubt. As promised and foretold, the only certainty in this life is death. Everything in between is as flitting, fragile and interchangeable as air.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About

Carpe Diem.

Labels