25th May 2016
Meeting of the day: To a Bangladeshi security guard
His name: Mohamad. He has been living in London for 15 years
"The East London Mosque in Whitechapel," he says, "one of the biggest mosques - is the only one in the city to announce the azan. But only for three prayers - Zuhur, Asar and Maghrib."
"Why?" I ask.
"Locals don't like the azan. It's too noisy. During the times of Isyak and Subuh, people are asleep. So the mosque respects that, and doesn't call out on the speaker. The locals complain, of course. They've tried for many years to stop it altogether. But they forget that there are powerful muslims in London too. The Saudis - they bought the buildings surrounding the mosque. If a local complains, they'd offer to buy the building for the residents to move out."
"Whoah," I say. "That's ... a rich solution."
The man nods. "Yes! And now, I get to listen to the azan!" He smiles. "In Bangladesh, where I come from - much like Malaysia - you can hear the call for prayers echo all over the city for five times during the day."
"Yes," I reply, "like in Istanbul too. I have missed it here in London."
"If you don't go to the mosque - how do you hear the azan?" He wonders out loud.
"From my laptop." I reply.
His reply is a surprised and delighted smile.
Meeting of the day: To a Bangladeshi security guard
His name: Mohamad. He has been living in London for 15 years
"The East London Mosque in Whitechapel," he says, "one of the biggest mosques - is the only one in the city to announce the azan. But only for three prayers - Zuhur, Asar and Maghrib."
"Why?" I ask.
"Locals don't like the azan. It's too noisy. During the times of Isyak and Subuh, people are asleep. So the mosque respects that, and doesn't call out on the speaker. The locals complain, of course. They've tried for many years to stop it altogether. But they forget that there are powerful muslims in London too. The Saudis - they bought the buildings surrounding the mosque. If a local complains, they'd offer to buy the building for the residents to move out."
"Whoah," I say. "That's ... a rich solution."
The man nods. "Yes! And now, I get to listen to the azan!" He smiles. "In Bangladesh, where I come from - much like Malaysia - you can hear the call for prayers echo all over the city for five times during the day."
"Yes," I reply, "like in Istanbul too. I have missed it here in London."
"If you don't go to the mosque - how do you hear the azan?" He wonders out loud.
"From my laptop." I reply.
His reply is a surprised and delighted smile.
No comments:
Post a Comment