Saturday, September 17, 2016

A mixture of multiculture

24 years old, living within a haphazard but scheduled course between London and Brighton. I've said this copious times but I must emphasise it once more, of how incredible it is to be surrounded by such an amazing and eclectic group of people. Every day of my life is injected with inter nationality - The Bangladeshi who wishes me good mornings in Korean, the Spanish who teaches me swear words, the Italian who gives me air kisses throughout the day, the French girl who dances as the Brit watches on in amusement.

There's that at one end of my journey in Churchill Square, then I return to Greenwich and am greeted by all the summer tales from my studio mates over the break. There's my Greek girl who spent 3 months yatching all over the islands near her home, wherein her instagram photos is filled with beach shots. The Beijing boy who paraded all over London with his gay partner, while dabbling in the fashion world. The quiet Peruvian friend who got married (!) to her sweet Englishman. The Indian mixed Brit who enjoyed the sunny months coaching little league football.

This all sounds like a roll call from a World Book's list of country names picked at luck, but the stories and interactions are attached to real, breathing people that I actually know and love. I take a step back and remind myself that I'm part of this diverse and transient group around me - I am Malaysian and I am here as well, with my culture and my experiences, telling them all about the August I spent eating as much Nasi Lemak as I possibly could stuff (and not enough ayam goreng mcD!), exchanging foreign greetings (Nooo Mizan! It's Apa Khabar! Not Apa Kebab!), and holding my own ingredient to the multicultural soup. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About

Carpe Diem.

Labels