As I sit here writing this, we've come into the 5th day of the Restricted Movement Order in Malaysia. It comes as an understatement that the title of this entry is 'You've Met Me At A Strange Time', because truly, most of the people I know have yet to experience a global pandemic such as this in our lifetime. There's a communal sense of humbling sobriety, and the jarring realisation of the competencies from the government and elites.
So far in Malaysia as I understand it, there has been 10 deaths officially announced, and the number of affected is just above a thousand. The military has now stepped up to aid the police. We're recorded to have the highest cases in South East Asia, but at this point it's all down to the vetting processes and announcements from each country. There's numbers and reports and emotional media flying about virtually, set against the backdrop of empty capital cities, embedded in between tiktok dance videos, and calling out to the incoming recession.
Personally I'm one of the few extremely lucky ones, with a home that includes a garden, my nucleus family staying in one house, a well stocked pantry, internet access, and a job still waiting for me. Our days are filled with board games, the occasional exercise, routine meals and prayers, and personal pursuits. In the grand scheme of things I am on the most comfortable side of this scale, and my heart goes out immensely to the ones who aren't as privileged or educated, and those currently operating in the front lines.
There has been so many calls for donations, and so many fundraising efforts at numerous levels. I understand that the government is perhaps doing what they can in the face of this unprecedented epidemic; I can't help wondering and longing for a more pro-active, long-term, medical, social, and economical measures to help elevate the present, and counter the future. All ministries should be supporting KKM in playing their part in keeping civic rest and assurance, and drawing up policies to soften this blow. But for now I digress.
-
The bottom line now is just realising my place as an individual in a larger society, and doing everything I can to aid in this situation.
So far in Malaysia as I understand it, there has been 10 deaths officially announced, and the number of affected is just above a thousand. The military has now stepped up to aid the police. We're recorded to have the highest cases in South East Asia, but at this point it's all down to the vetting processes and announcements from each country. There's numbers and reports and emotional media flying about virtually, set against the backdrop of empty capital cities, embedded in between tiktok dance videos, and calling out to the incoming recession.
Personally I'm one of the few extremely lucky ones, with a home that includes a garden, my nucleus family staying in one house, a well stocked pantry, internet access, and a job still waiting for me. Our days are filled with board games, the occasional exercise, routine meals and prayers, and personal pursuits. In the grand scheme of things I am on the most comfortable side of this scale, and my heart goes out immensely to the ones who aren't as privileged or educated, and those currently operating in the front lines.
There has been so many calls for donations, and so many fundraising efforts at numerous levels. I understand that the government is perhaps doing what they can in the face of this unprecedented epidemic; I can't help wondering and longing for a more pro-active, long-term, medical, social, and economical measures to help elevate the present, and counter the future. All ministries should be supporting KKM in playing their part in keeping civic rest and assurance, and drawing up policies to soften this blow. But for now I digress.
-
The bottom line now is just realising my place as an individual in a larger society, and doing everything I can to aid in this situation.
No comments:
Post a Comment