Greetings from what is possible day 36 of the RMO (or is it?) We are currently in phase 3 of the Restricted Movement Order, and by today or tomorrow, the government will announce whether or not it will be extended. I've skipped updating for the past week because, well, I suppose the monotony of a geographically restricted life got in the way. I'm not in the least complaining. It's just that, some days are better, some days are not, and like life, you tend to make do with whatever is happening.
The exceptionally good news is that, as we come to over a month of the COVID-19 restrictions, Malaysia has seen incredible improvements. Deaths have not yet reach the hundreds (as I'm writing this I believe it's at 86), and for a couple of days this past week, the number of reported cases were decreasing. I am in no way naive enough to feel like we are in the clear, but if the numbers are anything to go by, at least the very well-managed actions of our Ministry of Health and government are effective. We are doing much better than some 'first world' countries, and for this I am eternally grateful.
On the outside world, the US, UK, Spain and Italy are headlining the forefront of cases for this disease. If I'm not mistaken, France is catching up. US is taking the gold medal for most idiots to make it into social media (as per the photographed protests for freedom over seemingly farcical issues - ie haircutting, golf). If it were not for their gigantic grip on the world's media and their grandiose sense of self as a country, I would have been laughing. As it is, I'm (and possibly the world) is just viewing their governance with a beady, and empathetic eye.
Earlier this week, I went for a drive through swab test! The Selangor government has taken a very proactive approach in screening the elderly and those under their jurisdiction that require checking. I drove my dad and got tested as well. A medical officer came up to the window, took my name, contact and identification number, then did the swab. It's an elongated cotton bud that's pushed right to the back of your throat and nostril. The sensation didn't hurt so much as felt uncomfortable for the 0.5 seconds that it was in my oralfactory system. The procedure was over in about 5 minutes, and I'm supposed to be expecting the results anytime now.
Ramadhan is descending on us by tonight. For many, this will be the first terawih at home instead of the traditional congregation at the local masjid. It's become increasingly evident to me that my initially optimistic notion of life going back to normal has to take a backseat. A conversation with my friend from Spain nailed it in my head, when he casually lamented, "I don't think it's ever going back to normal, mate". Perhaps in another entry I'll ruminate over the exact notions of a New Normal. But, for now, Salam Ramadhan everyone.
The exceptionally good news is that, as we come to over a month of the COVID-19 restrictions, Malaysia has seen incredible improvements. Deaths have not yet reach the hundreds (as I'm writing this I believe it's at 86), and for a couple of days this past week, the number of reported cases were decreasing. I am in no way naive enough to feel like we are in the clear, but if the numbers are anything to go by, at least the very well-managed actions of our Ministry of Health and government are effective. We are doing much better than some 'first world' countries, and for this I am eternally grateful.
On the outside world, the US, UK, Spain and Italy are headlining the forefront of cases for this disease. If I'm not mistaken, France is catching up. US is taking the gold medal for most idiots to make it into social media (as per the photographed protests for freedom over seemingly farcical issues - ie haircutting, golf). If it were not for their gigantic grip on the world's media and their grandiose sense of self as a country, I would have been laughing. As it is, I'm (and possibly the world) is just viewing their governance with a beady, and empathetic eye.
Earlier this week, I went for a drive through swab test! The Selangor government has taken a very proactive approach in screening the elderly and those under their jurisdiction that require checking. I drove my dad and got tested as well. A medical officer came up to the window, took my name, contact and identification number, then did the swab. It's an elongated cotton bud that's pushed right to the back of your throat and nostril. The sensation didn't hurt so much as felt uncomfortable for the 0.5 seconds that it was in my oralfactory system. The procedure was over in about 5 minutes, and I'm supposed to be expecting the results anytime now.
Ramadhan is descending on us by tonight. For many, this will be the first terawih at home instead of the traditional congregation at the local masjid. It's become increasingly evident to me that my initially optimistic notion of life going back to normal has to take a backseat. A conversation with my friend from Spain nailed it in my head, when he casually lamented, "I don't think it's ever going back to normal, mate". Perhaps in another entry I'll ruminate over the exact notions of a New Normal. But, for now, Salam Ramadhan everyone.
No comments:
Post a Comment