Prior to my departure to the UK last year, I’d built myself a comfortable, productive routine. I’d wake up in the morning, journal, draw. In the evenings, I’d relish in daily jogs with Fish, or a round of badminton with Azalea. I had forayed into weekly yoga, weekly violin lessons, weekly French. The sun was a perpetual golden hue against the lush backdrop of suburban Shah Alam, and through most of lockdown I'd found purpose in developing my mental and physical self, strengthening my circle of support, and focusing on my end-goal of moving away/establishing a solo career.
It's been almost a year since then. My trip through the London rainbow road has been a decadent theme park ride, devoid of any form of routine or organisation. I'd fantasised daily runs through Hyde Park, and even bought myself a sketchbook, but the city's daily demands only allowed me to do that a handful of times. There was essentially no routine, with every day presenting a new set of to-do lists. Every coming event brought in a new character, a different client, various skill requirements, and mental capacities. It was navigating outside my comfort zone in a way I hadn't done in ages.
Back in Shah Alam now, and I'm slowly transported back into my pre UK routine. It feels comforting to know that I can still run my old routes, still sweat under the humid sky. I'm back taking my family out to dinners at places I used to frequent, digging into Malaysian street food, and taking in the chill evenings that were so quintessential to my life here. Truth is I had missed the familiarity of this small pond. It's replenishing to my soul. And like all travellers who find their way home, even if briefly, there's that sweetness that comes with the comforts of home before you leave again to chase your dreams.
In other news, the universe has dealt me some due cards. I'm finding myself in a special intermediary level, one surely riddled with hidden gems. It only demands for my wit and patience. If anything the past year has taught me, it's the power of timing and usaha (effort). I'd spent most of my previous UK chapter climbing the ladder, collecting my loot, and hoping that somehow I'd have enough to level up. Looking back, I'd like to think I'd done what I could. For now, it's just a matter of honouring my original intentions to spend quality time with my loved ones and arranging my affairs in Malaysia in order. A part of me has forgotten what it felt like to have a sense of structure in my day to day. Finding myself in the familiarity of this setting, undertaking simple daily activities, and joking around with my family and cats here, has me in a bubble of contentment. While I'm excited for my next move, it feels good to be back.

No comments:
Post a Comment