Amidst the futility of time, the mounting errands, the ache at the back of my mind, I found a release in golf. Prior to my photography assignment at The Shire last year, my knowledge of the sport was pretty much in the bunker, but the admiration for its trial and triumphs grew on me as my shutter snapped away. In September this year, Danial offered an opportunity to capture his game at Kota Permai, and to get in the spirit of things I had a turn at the driving range. A month later here I am, with gloves, irons, a member’s card, enthusiastically writing about my green (blistered) fingers.
It’s not a cardio sport, I don’t think, not in the way of kickboxing, swimming, tennis or jogging. There is a requirement for body control that’s similar to yoga, but with the cathartic release of hitting something. Personally, it feels like psychological sport, in how you zero in your focus to the tiniest details of your body. There is mindfulness to the address, the width of your stance, your swing, your finish. You dedicate time to measure the distances, elevations, angles. If anything, it’s more mental mathematics and mood regulation that pitches your performance.
I’ve yet to encounter a sport as accessible at any given time; the ability to just grab-my-iron-and-go to the range adds up to the experience. At the end of the day it’s just me, the fairway, and seeing my ball fly off into the distance in a beautiful arc. It’s three days before my (airborne) flight, and I can honestly say I’ve immensely enjoyed this dip into the green. There’s a long road to improvement (and what’s life without a bit of rough?) but it feels like an adequate sporty tee off into this next course of my journey. I’m putting this entry here as a marker of gratitude, and a toast to new hobbies and new friends.
Here’s to, in reality, making it above par.
Special thanks to Danial, Daniel, Dzuhair, Wansu, Nadia, Iman, Amri and Putra for the encouragement this past month.
No comments:
Post a Comment