"I believe that every one of us has the power to make a difference and to do good. The magnitude of gesture, be it small or big, doesn't matter; because every small act could have a bigger impact somewhere down the line. I find it my responsibility and my passion, that as long as I am capable, to explore and enrich the lives of the people around me. This is why, firstly, I am attracted to join this program.
Additionally, I have volunteered before and am not unfamiliar with hard labour, taking charge of situations, or uncomfortable surroundings. I have built homes for Orang Asli in Gombak (hammered, sawed, drilled, picked up wooden windows, climbed on rooftops), I have also organised a sporting event and art classes for orphans (handling a pack of rowdy young children is quite a fun challenge). I enjoy finding new skills and meeting new people. Often, in engaging with others, we learn more about ourselves.
I do not look down on those who have less material positions or worldly status than myself. Actually, most times, they possess a disposition that comfortable city dwellers rarely have. I want to meet my fellow countrymen in Sabah, appreciate their existences and the lives they have lived. I want to equally share knowledge and experiences, teach them, and absorb what they can teach me.
Thank you for you consideration in letting me participate for this event."
The application to volunteer in Sabah required a short introductory essay on our experiences and reasons. It was opened to students who were studying in United Kingdom, a pool of extremely bright, talented and skilled youths. When the letter came in that I was chosen to participate, I met the news with some trepidation, anxiety and worry. That's the thing about most events, especially the ones in which you know no one. It was a great plus that all of us got along well with each other, and as cliched as this sounds, I've walked away from it with more friends and a more worldly perception.
We spent the week travelling from Kota Kinabalu, to a five hour bus ride to Tenom. In Tenom, we help clean out a graveyard, and aided in the building of a home in a village of single mothers in Kampung Gurmisi. I spent an afternoon digging up a small irrigation line, playing with the local children, clearing out weeds and trash from the area, and tried a hand on the local instruments. At night we feasted on food, and as it coincided with Raya, we were greeted as open house guests. There was a kareoke session almost every night.
The main agenda of this trip occurred in Papar, where we facilitated a program to teach English to Form 1 students in SMK Pengalat. It was challenging in the sense that some of the children were quite introverted, but for the most part I know that they were bright and eager to learn. It was gratifying to see how they could progress in such a short span of time, given an open heart, mind and opportunity. As my group finished early, we organized some basic games like musical chairs and directives, that was concluded with aplomb. That night we played futsal with the local teams. Managed to talk to a 47 year old lady who is about 5 times fitter than me.
The rest of the trip was spent singing, dancing, eating and generally bonding with each other in Kota Kinabalu. I came home exhausted beyond measure, with a bad cough, but extremely happy.
Additionally, I have volunteered before and am not unfamiliar with hard labour, taking charge of situations, or uncomfortable surroundings. I have built homes for Orang Asli in Gombak (hammered, sawed, drilled, picked up wooden windows, climbed on rooftops), I have also organised a sporting event and art classes for orphans (handling a pack of rowdy young children is quite a fun challenge). I enjoy finding new skills and meeting new people. Often, in engaging with others, we learn more about ourselves.
I do not look down on those who have less material positions or worldly status than myself. Actually, most times, they possess a disposition that comfortable city dwellers rarely have. I want to meet my fellow countrymen in Sabah, appreciate their existences and the lives they have lived. I want to equally share knowledge and experiences, teach them, and absorb what they can teach me.
Thank you for you consideration in letting me participate for this event."
The application to volunteer in Sabah required a short introductory essay on our experiences and reasons. It was opened to students who were studying in United Kingdom, a pool of extremely bright, talented and skilled youths. When the letter came in that I was chosen to participate, I met the news with some trepidation, anxiety and worry. That's the thing about most events, especially the ones in which you know no one. It was a great plus that all of us got along well with each other, and as cliched as this sounds, I've walked away from it with more friends and a more worldly perception.
We spent the week travelling from Kota Kinabalu, to a five hour bus ride to Tenom. In Tenom, we help clean out a graveyard, and aided in the building of a home in a village of single mothers in Kampung Gurmisi. I spent an afternoon digging up a small irrigation line, playing with the local children, clearing out weeds and trash from the area, and tried a hand on the local instruments. At night we feasted on food, and as it coincided with Raya, we were greeted as open house guests. There was a kareoke session almost every night.
The main agenda of this trip occurred in Papar, where we facilitated a program to teach English to Form 1 students in SMK Pengalat. It was challenging in the sense that some of the children were quite introverted, but for the most part I know that they were bright and eager to learn. It was gratifying to see how they could progress in such a short span of time, given an open heart, mind and opportunity. As my group finished early, we organized some basic games like musical chairs and directives, that was concluded with aplomb. That night we played futsal with the local teams. Managed to talk to a 47 year old lady who is about 5 times fitter than me.
The rest of the trip was spent singing, dancing, eating and generally bonding with each other in Kota Kinabalu. I came home exhausted beyond measure, with a bad cough, but extremely happy.
No comments:
Post a Comment